Clarendon Distillers Limited
Clarendon Distillers Limited (CDL) lies on six acres of land in the Monymusk Estate, one of the oldest sugar cane plantations in Jamaica, located in Lionel Town, Clarendon. The distillery built in 1949 was initially owned by the Monymusk Sugar Factory. It produces an exquisite Jamaican spirit, Monymusk Rum. Through decades, the distillery’s ownership has been transferred to different companies. In 1976, the Government of Jamaica took control of the distillery in the form of the Sugar Corporation of Jamaica. Later, in 1980, its operation was transferred to National Rums of Jamaica Limited (NRJ), which currently owned 100% of the distillery. NRJ is jointly owned by West Indies Rum Distillery Ltd. of Barbados, Demerara Distillers of Guyana, and the government of Jamaica. This shared ownership represents an interesting mix that positively influences the management of the distillery and the rum production strategies. 

The Distillery consists of two sections: the older one that houses two pot stills with a capacity of 20,000 liters, and the corresponding fermentation tanks. The newer contains the column stills and a fermentation building, with a capacity of 25,000 liters. During the 2000s, they began to upgrade the distillery’s facilities thanks to different investors. Consequently, in 2009, they acquired a third column still from India’s Disti-Chem. With a capacity of 200,000 liters, this is responsible for 3/4 of the distillery’s total output. What is more, it is capable of producing different rum styles due to its multiple configuration setups. Other modernizations covered the fermentation area, the boiler feed water, and the water treatment system. 

See more at:

Related Articles


SPIRITS POOL ASSOCIATION

LIMITED

© 2023 Spirits Pool Association Limited All rights reserved. 
All other trademarks and trade names are properties of their respective owners.